Thursday, September 25, 2014

Meeting Minutes ~ 9/16/2014

Below are the meeting minutes from the PTA meeting held on Tuesday, Sept 16th.

Please take note of the upcoming redistricting meetings. The first one will be held in just a few weeks on October 8th at Centennial High School. It is very important for members of our school to get involved and be informed about redistricting.



Esther Jackson Elementary PTA Board
Meeting Minutes

September 16, 2014

Present:

Lisa Stamey, Becky Anderson, Dan MacLagan, Tia MacLagan, Jennifer Cassidy, Carissa Donges, Tracia Jeffries, Sally Mrus, Lisa Newara, Shari Perkins, Karen Weatherspoon, Kathy Beals, Hilton Ode, Emilie Long

Location:

EJ Media Center
Next meeting:
October 21st at 6:30pm in EJ Media Center

Welcome and Call to Order:  6:30pm by Daniel MacLagan
·         Past minutes (8/19/14) read by Becky Anderson and approved by all present.

President’s Address – Dan MacLagan
·         Becky Requested STEM Day Budget
o    Total Science Enrichment budget for year is $1500 – Science Expo and STEM Day
·         Update on Donuts for Dads – Cost of Donuts went up, but overall event went very well

Principal’s Address – Ms. Cassidy
·         There were some adjustments made after 10 day count (classes added and taken away.)
·         Teachers discussed STEM Day in leadership meeting.  Decision was made for each grade to have a focusing question for the day that would tie in to their curriculum.  For example – 2nd grade will be working on Motion.
·         Redistricting Process
o    Please put the following meetings on your calendars as it is important that EJ is well represented:
§  Round One – October 8, 7-9 p.m. at Centennial High School
§  Round Two – November 5, 7-9 p.m. at Alpharetta High School
§  Round Three – December 10, 7-9 p.m. at Centennial High School
o    There will also be an online forum to give feedback, but an in person presence is important due to the small group session format of the meetings.
·         New Potential Business Partner
o    Kathy Jones Beal and Dan MacLagan sat in with Ms. Cassidy on a meeting with a potential partner, Fun Time Live
o    They do Friday night (some Saturday) “Parents Night Out” events based at schools.  The proposal is that they would use the EJ facility to hold these events, and EJ PTA would receive a portion of the proceeds.
o    Info right now is that cost would be $12 (with PTA receiving $2) and it would run from 6pm – 10:30pm each Friday. 
o    Other local elementary school children could also attend.
o    They are currently going through the process to be a Fulton County Schools vendor.
·         School Governance Council
o    Looking for parent candidates for the School Governance Council.
o    Need two parents to serve a two year term and one to serve a one year term.
o    Deadline to submit is October 15th at 5pm.
o    Form is online – look on the EJ website under School Governance Council Elections, or stop by the office for a paper copy.

Committee Reports
·         Movie Night – Lisa Stamey
o    Flyer and FAQ’s drafts were presented.  Lisa asked attendees for feedback.
o    Lisa let us know about the pricing options available - $110 in licensing fee for one film, $425 to have licensing fees for the whole school for one year, and $200 screen rental.
o    We can pay the balance of the $425 in 90 days, so it was decided to wait until after the Annual Fund drive to see if we would have the budget for this.
o    Will have a display of paper Jaguars for those who have contributed.
o    Lisa will talk to Tara regarding Volunteer Needs, but definitely need volunteers!
·         Spirit Night – Lisa Stamey
o    Sky Zone this Thursday
o    Low turnout (only 5) last month
o    Had a discussion on ways to increase attendance.
o    This month, if any class has over a 50% attendance, they will get a pizza party.
·         Grants – Lisa Stamey
o    We are in the process of trying to obtain a grant for Destination Imagination through a private foundation.
o    Currently working with Ms. Cassidy to go through the Fulton County Schools grant process, as well as write the grant application for the foundation.
o    Becky, Lisa and Ms. Cassidy will meet on Monday, 9/22 to discuss.
·         Youth Day Parade – Lisa Stamey
o    Saturday, October 11th
o    We will have sign ups at Movie Night
o    Have a new banner, but need T-shirts
o    Need a parent who will be going to volunteer to be in charge of making sure the kids are where they need to be the day of the parade.
·         Centennial High School Homecoming and Parade/Dad’s Club Kick-off – Dan MacLagan
o    Event is on track for Friday, Oct 10th.
o    Mr. James will be involved.
·         Reflections – Lisa Stamey
o    Getting a slightly late start on Reflections as the council had lost Manya’s info and it didn’t get to her timely.
o    The theme is “The world would be a better place if…”
o    Entry forms are in lobby.
·         Room Parents – Carissa Donges
o    Will be meeting on Monday or Tuesday
o    Missing 10 or so room parents, but this may be a mistake, because some of the teachers say they had room parents sign up.  The forms may not have made it to Andrea.  Carissa will look into and see if the forms can be tracked down. 
·         Volunteers – Dan MacLagan
o    Discussed Open Positions
§  Lisa mentioned that she would be talking to Sally Phillips Rushing about Spirit Nights Chair.
§  Tracia expressed interest in finding out more about Bingo Chair.  Becky took her info and will have someone contact her.
·         Vision and Hearing Screening – Dan MacLagan
o    Tuesday 9/23 from 7:30 – 10:30am, needs volunteers.
·         Website – Dan MacLagan
o    He is still working on the new website, making progress.  Has some documents and info, but still needs some.  He will be in contact with the VPs and Chairs that are missing info.
o    He will be in contact with Tracey Preslan to get her involved.
·         Membership – Dan MacLagan
o    We have reached 100% of staff membership.

New Business
·         Sally Mrus asked if anyone knew if Six Flags still offered the 600 Minutes over 6 Weeks reading program.  No one knew, but it was noted and it will be looked into.
·         Carissa Donges asked if we could sell bricks for a path in the new building.  Ms. Cassidy said it was a possibility, and would be looked into closer to the time.  She also mentioned plans for the sale of the current “student” artwork that is on the walls now during the Spring Carnival.


Meeting Adjourned: 8:02 by Dan MacLagan

No comments:

Post a Comment